Let’s not decide a safety program by tossing a coin


Let’s not decide a safety program by tossing a coin

Without revealing name – as it is not necessary, I would like to mention a safety program in vogue with a classic example of obscured perspective. Claiming as a best practice, every entrant to this factory was customarily given half-face cartridge mask along with safety shoes, Apron and Helmet to wear at Security Gate itself.
When I myself passed through this phase, I minutely made my observation and concluded the whole process for a mere show off.  The point what I mean to put here is that to implement a safety program, a holistic view is must considering the local need, purpose, and objectivity.  You get vindication of my view so, I tend to ask following several questions.
Are these gadgets are essential to be provided at the gate? Would it not be appropriate to keep required nos. at near entry point of the concerned section?  And if these at all are essential, is it not needed by the employee also spending 8-10 hrs. daily or is this not required by those who actually are in constant exposure to danger?
Should there not be a procedure to monitor the end of serviceability of the cartridge? The condition of the equipment at least does not suggest that. Furthermore, is it not important to tell how to wear a respirator correctly?
Is it hygienic to wear a transferable respirator without sanitization post each issue?
Similarly, in another matter,  I saw many wearing wrong size shoes in want of availability of correct size and isn’t wearing wrong shoes make one more vulnerable to injury.

Barring a few good helmets, some were worn out, some missing chin strips, some broken harness, some defaced and dirty.

Now my question to you, is it a practice of much help in controlling the risk or any way positively protect the wearer?


Certainly not, and that is why I use to say “many randomly chosen safety programs even though budgeted hugely has a little or no positive impact on safety”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

@safetitude: 6-Steps Total Safety Culture Model