@safetitude: Are managers immune to Safety?


                                                 
I would like to narrate something that you may call right attitude of manager towards safety. I was first full time safety officer in erstwhile Cadbury India Limited in year 2000. I was reporting to factory manager (revered Jaiboy Phillips) who used to call me “Father of Safety”. I don’t know at that time how much I knew about safety but his understanding of value to safety made me a complete safety man of today. I remember his words saying that there are many in the Company who would tell him of all good things but he wanted me to inform if there was any bad thing needed attention. It was clear instruction that I must inform him anything that affected wellbeing of any person or any deviation that would lead to an accident.  


When I have become professionally more mature, I think why do most mangers not perceive safety a value for the organisation? Why do they expect a safety officer to be goody-goody to them? Is it not pertinent to pay heed to small safety issues that become a reason of big happening someday? Should they not entrust safety officers with job of finding deviations and suggesting the ways to improve it. I am sure this kind of safety attitude (Safetitude) is fundamental in the organisation’s journey to achieve pinnacle of safety.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

@safetitude: 6-Steps Total Safety Culture Model