Safety is everybody's job - means nobody is responsible!

Normal meaning from management point of view for responsibility is ‘duty to accomplish the task’. However, when it comes to workplace safety & health, responsibility acquires a greater and larger scope and extends beyond to mere completion of task. To improve safety, employee at all levels need to extend responsibility beyond normal meaning of it. Every person should demonstrate visible commitment for safety as his/her responsibility and must ensure that it is integrated with each activity being performed. Working to reduce injury or occupational illness should not be seen as responsibility of safety person employed with an organisation but it is applicable to all employee who execute the work or who get the work executed. It is fairly a challenge at the end of safety professionals and corporate leaders to build the kind of work culture that enables or facilitates responsibility for safety. Safety within the organisation will improve if a worker does an activity with a self-directed state of mind that he/she is responsible to complete it without injury and supervisor is facilitating him/her as his/her responsibility. 
In order to bring a total safety culture within an organisation, the mind-set that includes following behaviours reflects responsibility for safety in true sense:

1.    1.        @safetitude: I am responsible for safety means 'I actively take care of my colleagues'.
2.     @safetitude: I am responsible for safety means ' I understand all the hazards related to my workplace/workarea'.
3.     @safetitude: I am responsible for safety means' I plan for safety when I plan for any task to be executed or get done by team'.
4.     @safetitude: I am responsible for Safety means 'I ensure that my team members are aware of the hazards associated with the activity they undertake and are encouraged to take precautions to avoid injury'.
5.     @safetitude: I am responsible for safety means ' I do more than what is required as minimum by law -and do not mind going beyond call of duty to ensure no-injury situation'.
6.     @safetitude: I am responsible for safety means ' I take care of the family of my team members by way of providing safety at the work'.
7.     @safetitude: I am responsible for safety means ' I ensure that my team members are competent to carry out the assigned activity safely' in other words, they have received training as how to do their work without injury.
8.     @safetitude: I am responsible for safety means 'I myself report workplace unsafe act and condition and encourage team members to report like way'.
9.     @safetitude: I am responsible for safety means 'I adopt safety as value which do not get shifted according to situation'.
10. @safetitude: I am responsible for safety means 'I do not adopt safety as priority but integrate it in all activities I do and let my team follow the same'.
11.   @safetitude: I am responsible for safety means 'I encourage integration of safety in all activities rather than considering it as alien'.
12. @safetitude: I am responsible for safety means 'I take participation in safety programs irrespective of my position in the organisation'.
13. @safetitude: I am responsible for safety means 'I as supervisor of my team ask about the safety performance first while taking feedback on the work progress of assigned work'.
14.   @safetitude: I am responsible for safety means ' I behave in a way that others believe safety begins with me'.
15. @safetitude: I am responsible for Safety means 'I never let go any opportunity to reward the team member who does something good for safety'.
16. @safetitude: I am responsible for Safety means 'I am open to accept the advice when it is for accomplishing the task without injury'.
17. @safetitude: I am responsible for safety means 'I welcome all ideas that improve my workplace safety further and help reinforce my commitment to provide a safer workplace to my team members'.
18.   @safetitude: I am responsible for safety means 'I won't defer presiding scheduled Safety meeting for other business meetings at same time'.
19.   @safetitude: I am responsible for safety means even though ‘risk taking is rarely punished with an injury or even a near hit, instead it is consistently rewarded with convenience, comfort, or time/money saved’ I will adopt safety very first and every time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

@safetitude: 6-Steps Total Safety Culture Model